Empty the chat input field
Loading ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
The Classic

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 6,947,184,415

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!KO This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Linux

ok, I got a major virus the other day and though I got rid of it, it corrupted sooooo many programs before i got it made my computer more or less an expensive paperweight. and since nobody gives you backup discs anymore, I was stuck without an operating system.

Im running Ubuntu now, which I'm familiar enough with, as I had it on a laptop I used to play around with, and am probally going to replace GNOME with KDE as ive always been a fan of flashy graphical interfaces, but does anybody got any good suggestions for software I should download, I know a few of you run Linux
Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
in need of a μse

Location: gated community, ivory tower, depends on who you ask
MIIDAJ? Scrill: 3,598,123,658,026

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Re: Linux

IM - Pidgin
Browser - Firefox and Chrome
CD Burning - k3b
Word processing, spreadsheets, etc - OpenOffice.org
Movie Player - MPlayer
Music - RhythmBox
Torrents - Vuze
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

mplayer. have to look into that, the rest came pre installed

Vuze ill pass on, i had it on windows, bogged my shit down, alot of worthless features built in, ill probally go with something a bit more streamlined like transmission or ktorrent for that
Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Im lovin this so far, ubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4 is awsome
Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Is Butthurt.

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 43,077,734,189

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!ScaryMoose This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via AIM to ScaryMoose

AMERICA FUC YA

COMING AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHA FUCCIN DAY YA
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Amateur

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,002,130

Activity Longevity
1/20 12/20

DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!DrShoggoth This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

For a music player I recommend Banshee mainly because it has an equalizer, which Rhythmbox lacks.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

I have to say so far I'm loving this. My last foray into Linux didn't go as well, I had I think Fedora 8 or 10, with GNOME and honestly hated it. So unorganized and counterintuitive.

Not so with Ubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4, its just so sensible, with endless customization.

The one negative is it doesn't like my monitor as it always gets the resolution so wrong half the desktop is off screen, til i figured out how to open directly to a prompt with alt f2 to access to reset. And even then sometimes when I reset it it bugs the fuck out and destabilizes the image to the point you cant even read through the crap, guess it doesn't support it fully, oh well. On the whole though things are going nicely.

Ill have to take a look at banshee, sounds promising
Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Bat Country

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 304,924,293,672

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Fedora sucks i had a class on it, i think it made me hate linux. i have messed around with ubuntu for a while and i dont have anything against open source but i dont see me using it souly or even 50/50. I have given it several shots, once it wouldnt work on my laptop because of some video driver. Now at work it wont work on a a Dell Poweredge server because of some broadcom network card.

It seems like a lot of things in linux are just harder than they have to be. It is like building a car from scratch to have a good system to do what you need. I find myself, like i am now, on a Windows machine. I run xp at home, 7 at work, and Vista (soon to be 7) in the classroom. Windows has plenty of problems but it is the same problems i know and can work around.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Dont get me wrong, Ive used Windows for nearly all of my computing history, going back 15 years now. I had a laptop I played around with a year or two ago with the Fedora that literally drove me nuts and got me to quit my experimenting with it.

Theres every likelyhood that Ill be going to 7 once I can afford to buy windows, but right now I'm unemployed and $200-$300 for an operating system is a luxury I just cant afford right now, which is why I had to take the plunge with linux. Like I said so far I have had some problems with it, but once its up and running its great, its just the startup problems with the screen that drives me nuts.

I'm starting to think its a combination between the 32" TV I use as a monitor and the ATI graphics card, as Linux apparently has issues with ATI cards. I want this to work out for me, and for now regardless Its what I'm going to be using.

Its kinda like I really want linux to be everything I want, but in the back of my mind knowing it wont, but we'll see
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Bat Country

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 304,924,293,672

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

There seems to be conflicts will all kinds of hardware and drivers. It takes a lot of research and trial and error.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Brain melting experience today. Bought a new printer as im getting sick of running to my moms job every time i have to print a paper for class, and the setup on this was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

Getting this thing to run on Ubuntu 10.10 was absolutely insane. The amount of terminal bullshit i had to do to get this thing to be recognized and the drivers installed was nuts.

I need to get high
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Forum Maintenance Engineer

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 491,361,867,436,318

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Originally Posted by KO View Post
Brain melting experience today. Bought a new printer as im getting sick of running to my moms job every time i have to print a paper for class, and the setup on this was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

Getting this thing to run on Ubuntu 10.10 was absolutely insane. The amount of terminal bullshit i had to do to get this thing to be recognized and the drivers installed was nuts.

I need to get high
LOL, Linux.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

lol poor

$32 dollar printer
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
*%#$@#!*%#$@#!

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 83,373,186,466,518

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20

LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!LedZap This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #15

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

lol poor

$32 dollar printer
$32 dollars? are you sure that is not a pen?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

dead serious

Walmart.com: Canon Pixma MP250 Photo All-In-One Inkjet Printer/Copier/Scanner: Computers

It does what I need it to, which is enough for me right now
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #17

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

dead serious

Walmart.com: Canon Pixma MP250 Photo All-In-One Inkjet Printer/Copier/Scanner: Computers

Replacement Ink is probably 69 bucks.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
*%#$@#!*%#$@#!

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20

dead serious

Yeah , I got one of those from Wal Mart also...works great and was $40.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

nope. between $16-$20
Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
The Classic

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Im amazed at how good it is, especially for the price point, it was just a bitch to set up
Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
*%#$@#!*%#$@#!

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20

Im amazed at how good it is, especially for the price point, it was just a bitch to set up
Really ? Mine was easy , just plugged it in and ran the disc.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #22
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

What brand of printer did you buy?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

Oh never mind. I didn't see you already posted it... Cannon, that is weird.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #24
*%#$@#!*%#$@#!

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20

Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #25
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

My HP was simple shit. Plug it in and worked right on the fly. No other software or configurations required.