Home Forum Arcade
Gallery

Go Back   Mind if I Do A J? Forum > Topic Discussion > Geekz

Is this your Shout Box, Larry?  [Archives]
Empty the chat input field
Loading ...

View Poll Results: What Operating System Are You On?
Microsoft Windows 8 66.67%
Linux (Which Distro?) 1 8.33%
Mac OS 1 8.33%
Dual Boot (Specify) 2 16.67%
Other (Specify) 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
in need of a μse

Location: gated community, ivory tower, depends on who you ask
MIIDAJ? Scrill: 3,762,234,081,625

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

What OS are u on?

What Operating Systems you running?

Mine;

Dual Boot

Windows XP Home on my C partition.

Ubuntu 6.06 (Linux) on my E partition... I think.

WIndows XP is Windows XP... same ole' Microsoft...

Ubuntu is a Linux based operating system, and it fucking kicks ass!

Things I about Linux, specifically Ubuntu, are the virtual desktops. You can switch desktops and shit anytime you want. So I run FTP on one, Skype/FireFox/AIM on another, if Im downloading shit Azureus on the other, and my email client on the other desktop. Also, Ubuntu has this auto update thing kind of like Windows, Fedora did not have that, plus they give you this Package Manager that you can find all kinds of programs for Linux. All for free!

It's very simple to get used to, just finding all the programs you need, and sometimes you need to download a program, and install it via command lines... but instructions usually come with the zip'd package. Anyways, as long as you know the basic commands, or don't mind looking them up in google (after a week on this shit I have most of the basic commands and file paths memorized) it's damn easy.

Also, I had a few problems installing Fedora, and it took me 13 hours of almost straight working on it and two accidental deletions of my Windows partition (shouldn't be fucking with partitions stoned) to get it working. It had a really funky way of getting installed and setting up the dual boot that had me stuck. Ubuntu automatically detected it for me and installed it.beep.done.

Linux comes with all the regular shit.

-FireFox as the web browser.
-Evolution as e-mail client.
-GAIM as an all in one (AIM/MSN/YIM/Groupwise/IRC/Napster/Gadu-Gadu/Jabber) as the IM client.
-Open office as a Word Processor/Spread Sheet/Presentation/Database software.
-15 games including blackjack, mines!
-Movie Player, as well, a movie player.
-I have gFTP as my FTP, VLC as my audio player, Azeureus as my bit torrent client,

Ubuntu makes Linux super easy for even a novice Linux user.

If yer interested check it out.

http://www.ubuntu.com

I love dicking with my computer and this type of shit.

Screenshots:

The Desktop...

Firefox... nothing special...

GAIM... while updating my computer...

gFTP and Skype... on a totally different Desktop... the very bottom right hand corner you see where I can pick which desktop I want to be on. When Im on IM and I get a new IM and im on another desktop the window will follow me, and I just click on it and it brings me to the original desktop.

Email Client..
Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
crippling sanctions

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 20,155,862

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Re: What OS are u on?

Windows XP Home - on this HP and my shitty Laptop.
Windows XP Media Edition - On my dad's sweet Laptop.
Windows 98 on the old school pc. but she's got a pentium 4 and some balls.

IE - Laptops
FireFox - On this HP desktop
Avian i think it's called on the old school windows 98
Old 09-21-2006, 02:01 AM   #3
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
What is the befefit to linux? Is there anything that you can do that I can with windows?
For me, it's more of a toy, something new. I like the layout and design better, it's pretty stable once you get everything you need installed installed, it seems to run everything faster, I still go to Windows when I really need to do something in there. It's a matter of finding everything you need. Once I find a few more programs and find some more plug-ins, and find a better audio driver so I can listen to two things at the same time... but other than that, it's pretty fucking tight for free. Anything you can do on Windows you can do on Linux kind of thing... I just like toying with it, but I have come to the conclusion that I will be switching to it as soon as I get everything I need installed.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

You can have virtual desktops on Windows, you used to have to pay $100 for it, now its free for download on MS's website if you have Windows XP Pro. To get virtual desktop I would have had to upgrade to Windows XP and spend $100... what a scheme,
Old 09-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

I used to run red hat, but that was back in the day.
Nice, from what I can tell, it's even better than Fedora Core 3 I learned in college.

Fedora Core is made by Red Hat.

Ubuntu is made by Debian.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 AM   #6
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

What would I do with this virtual desktop?
It's like having 4 desktops on one desktop. You can be working on FTP and PHP files on one, have your browser, and IM on another, Email, and media player on another, and wahtever the fuck on another.

It's just much easier to keep track of and handle than having 30 windows open on one desktop. It's an organizational function, really makes using everything more efficiently.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Pretty much Dude...
Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
Forum Maintenance Engineer

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 1,158,605,432,997,583

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20

AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

No one should have Windows XP Home. There should have never been a Windows XP Home edition.

This situation will only get worse with Vista. There will be 7 versions of Vista. What a fucking nightmare.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Windows XP Home ain't that bad... It's better than Milenium Edition what I was on just a few years ago.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #10
Brother Shamus

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,001,860

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

2000 at work

xp home at...home

no one should ever own windows Migrane Edition.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

No shit, huh?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
Brother Shamus

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,001,860

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Crash This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

absotudelyoultey neighborino
Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu//6.06/

They got some bit torrents if yer interested. You can boot it from DVD or CD just to check it out. You don't even have to install it to your hard drive, it will actually boot from DVD, its going to be very limited, but you can still browse the net and os and all that with it so you kind of get a sneek peek at it. DL the version for your PC, probably gonna be just over 3GB, burn it to DVD, and boot, making sure that your boot priority is set to your CD/DVD-ROM in the BIOS.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #14
Slacker

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,064,262

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via AIM to Silent Steve

windows xp, and pretty much the only thing that's keeping me on it at this point is foobar 2000. .. and my crappy ass hard drive.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #15
Yeah! I said it...

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,030,156

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via MSN to |맧

M$ Winblows XP
Old 09-22-2006, 12:31 AM   #16
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

I just installed another updater thing for Ubuntu. This one makes it tons easier yet. I just found pretty much everything I needed, minus like a couple things... which I'm still on the hunt for and will find in short time, and its probably in one of the updaters and I just over looked it. All I need to run my computer is on Linux right now.

I feel like a kid in a toy store, this is bad ass.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
Yeah! I said it...

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Will the installer for Ubuntu provide the dual boot software or whateverthefuckitis.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #18
crippling sanctions

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

I dowloaded the desktop and server cd and have no clue what to do with them

I have MagicISO to open them but dont know what to open

Last edited by FilLaB0NG12; 09-22-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 AM   #19
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Originally Posted by ßü††|맧 View Post
Will the installer for Ubuntu provide the dual boot software or whateverthefuckitis.
Oh Dude, what I did was this.

I have my hard drive seperated into 4 partitions. 1 for Windows, 1 for Audio/Video, one for all my programs and shit, and one for Linux. All the partitioned for NTFS by using the Windows install CD. Then I completely deleted my other partition that I wanted Linux because it had all my videos on it, so I just moved them to my audio folder... anyways, just leave the partition deleted, boot from DVD or CD, and walk through the installer, Ubuntu auto detects Windows XP and configures the dual boot for you! You used to have to do that manually, Ubuntu just makes it super simple. Then I created my partitions with Ubuntu's partition tool, making sure the /swap file has at least 500mb partition and the Linux partition itself is whatever you want it to be (recomended to be at least 2, but Id say at least 4.)... but anyways, to answer your question, yes the Ubuntu installer software will set up the dual boot software for you automatically.

Ubuntu/Windows Dual Boot guide.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...sDualBootHowTo

Wiki Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper

Tons of Ubuntu Screenshots.
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...se=659&slide=4

Which Linux Distro is right for you?
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #20
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Originally Posted by FilLaB0NGo6 View Post
I dowloaded the desktop and server cd and have no clue what to do with them

I have MagicISO to open them but dont know what to open

Burn it as an .ISO image with something like Alcohol 120%, put it in your DVD/CD-R and restart your machine. At boot up you will see the BIOS boot screen, where it should tell you what to press to get into your BIOS, mines Delete, it can be F8 or almost any of the F* keys it seems. Check the boot configuration to make sure your CD/DVD-R is 1st in boot priority. Then Save and Exit. It will boot up and you should either see a Ubuntu boot up screen, and it will look like the matrix for a second, and probably see Ubuntu booting up, or it will tell you to press any key to boot to CD and start doing that.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:24 AM   #21
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Yeah, I'm a geek.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 AM   #22
Yeah! I said it...

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

This will be easy then because it will go to a separate drive.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 AM   #23
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Good call.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:02 AM   #24
crippling sanctions

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

didnt get it yet, came close buut kept getting an error booting file or something, too tired, saving this for later referance

da420: you probably dont want to install so dont click it when you are in there or you may accidently wrirte over your windows partition adn will be stuck with linux as your OS until you get windows installed again, but a good way if you want to really learn Linux.
da420: just restart and take out the disc to boot back into window
da420: that's it
da420: bam
da420: and will boot the disc as Linux
da420: it might do it automatically depends on your computer
da420: it will boot into the cd
da420: hit any key
da420: you will see text taht saays Press any Key to Boot CD
da420: it will boot up
da420: then save and exit
da420: and make sure the first one on the boot sequence is set to your CD drive
da420: Go to that menu
da420: in there you should see Boot
Old 09-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #25
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Werd... what file did it have trouble with?