Loading ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 03:45 AM   #1
in need of a μse

Location: gated community, ivory tower, depends on who you ask
MIIDAJ? Scrill: 3,826,833,265,774

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Why I am sticking with Linux?

I was asked to post some of the reasons why I switched to Linux at another forum, and I figured it would fit in here. So here it is. Why I have switched to Linux and sticking with it.
-----------------------------

I was asked by a member to post this here to try and convert him to Linux instead of using Windows. We all know how much a pain in the ass Windows can be. Linux can be a pain in the ass too, but once you get used to it's differences, it's a much better (and free) Operating system.

Why is it better?

1. It's free. Personally, I like free shit. I still have Windows, but probably will never buy a new version of Windows again, unless I absolutely have to.

2. Open source community. A group of coders dedicated to making working and better software. One coder can get a hold of code, and make the current code much better. There is no limitations here. The source code is available for all to see free of charge making programs easier and much cheaper to produce. This gives the user base thousands and thousands of programs at thier finger tips that have been built upon by different coders over the years continuing to make them better.

3. Package repositories. A dump of hundreds, even thousands of programs without having to go searching for them and installing them one by one. It's a program that adds them to the list as they are added to the repositories which are updated daily.

4. Auto updates. OK - So Microsoft does this already with Windows XP... but not only does this update your operating system... it updates all software. Not just the operating system. Of course you have to confirm the update, but it's great. Not only that, you do not have to restart your machine unless you upgrade your kernal.

5. Pretty much anything you can do on Windows you can do with Linux. Examples.

6. Crashes, and Security issues are virtually non-existant with a properly configured Linux box. This does not mean it's not completely vulnerable, better safe than sorry, and they do have anti virus software and firewalls with Linux.

7. Linux is not Windows. One of my favorite reasons to love and make a perminent switch to Linux.
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW1.htm

Well, it's not all peaches and cream. If you don't do your research, and care to learn then you will have a hard time. Not all hardware is compatitble with default installs, but you can do anything if you do the right research. Everything for me worked right out of the box, just had to do some fiddling with the audio drivers. No big deal. I had to chmod my Windows and spare partitions to save to them. If you don't do your research and put a little bit of work into it you will end up like this guy.

I have been convinced that Linux was put on this earth to frustrate man to no end.

Installation. Ooooo, I am getting excited with all the pretty new themes that Fedora Core 6 has to offer. I go through and select all the packages I want to include in my install (being the majority of them) and begin my install. Half way through the installation I have to restart due to a transaction compilation error and conflicts in the packages chosen. Oh joy. Oh well, it will all be worth it soon. I do it again same thing. Now I try select less packages, same thing (bare in mind I scanned the DVD for any corruptions). Now I deselect all packages and have a barebone system. No biggy, I can install anything once I have it up and running. I finally get to my desktop, yay, this looks nice. What shall I do first? Maybe watch some videos?

I try to watch some videos on youtube, nope, linux has other plans for me. I have to manually install it through throguh source. Why you ask? because installing it through the browser doesn't work. Hmmm, it says it does, but I guess linux is just have a joke with me. I can appreciate a sense of humour. So now once I am done installing through source... guess what! It still doesn't work! Yay! More adventure into the magnificent world of linux for me. So, after an hour of googling and through hundreds of tutorials none work.... Now folks I am willing to subscribe to the idea I am just dumb, that could be a possibility, but I am more willing to accept the fact that my OS is out to kill me. Alright enough is enough, videos aren't worth this. Let's play a game linux! Oh yes, we're going to play a game, but not the one I inteded.

So I figure there is no way I am going to get CS up and running through Wine, as it seems I can not even run the simplest of windows apps with it without some random error followed by a crash. Lucky me, my favourite open source game ET comes native on linux, this should be a piece of cake to install.... Wrong. So I fetch my Nvidia driver which also comes native on linux, and after another half hour of googling I am ready to install. I spend about 15 minutes in the blackness of the linux terminal (which doesn't really bother me if it would work how it's suppose to) and finally start the install. ERROR. Oh goody another random error it's my lucky day. Says something about not having kernel source, why don't I have it? Well a little reason that was discussed in the begginnig during install. So I rush to get my source and install it with minimal hassle (compared to every other christ thing I try to do) and try the driver install again. YAY! It still won't work, thanks linux, this was a fun game. So I try install ET anway, maybe I can play it with horrible FPS. Guess what! It installs, this is a first. I run it... It freezes and crashes my computer. Oh you're a tricky little bugger you are linux.

Well, let me just relax with some music. What's this XMMS doens't support MP3's? I need to install codecs you say? Guess I will just google another 2 hours for the holy codecs. Well no, I am pretty pissed off now. And... this isn't funny... no amount of sarcasm could make this situation any prettier.

There's only one way out, back to the safe (sometimes stressful and lacking) haven of Windows. But linux seems to be fond of me and doesn't want to stop playing. After popping in my Windows CD and having the boot device priority set to CD Drive first I wait. Here it comes the detecting devices screen.... Soon I will be back to the nice little enviroment I left in promise of a new and better one. HOLY SHIT! It froze! Now really... what is that? I try it again, same thing, and again, and again, and again, with the same results. Guess Linux is jealous.... Now then, I have two choices: Smash my harddrive or wipe everything on it with DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke). Thank you linux. You have renewed my faith in the open source community.

PS.

Please do not take this as a flame, just my bad experience. I am willing to subscribe to the fact I am a linux noob.
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ighlight=Linux

Ok, so you decided to switch? Which distro should you try?

That depends on your needs, wants, and knowledge. I use openSuSe, but first had a successful try with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is really good and straight forward for beginers. SuSe is still pretty easy and straight forward, but has a little more power in my opinion.

www.ubuntu.com
www.opensuse.net

Or take this Distro Quiz.

Either way, I have made the switch. If you are insterested in learning something different, and are not afraid of change and learning something new with your computer I highly suggest you try out Linux.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Forum Maintenance Engineer

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 1,542,103,795,300,538

Activity Longevity
5/20 20/20

AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Re: Why I am sticking with Linux?

I'm happy this is in the Geekz forum.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

You're still in here!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
crippling sanctions

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 20,163,362

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!FilLaB0NG12 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

New Post button nigga
Old 11-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Don't mean anything. You still enter the Geekz forum the moment you click on a thread that was posted here.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
the szooze button on a smoke alarm

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,073,260

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via AIM to TacoSusio Send a message via Skype™ to TacoSusio

damnit! you're right. now i gotta go take another shower to try and get the stentch of geek off of me!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Don't blame me.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #8

Activity Longevity
5/20 20/20

Originally Posted by da420 View Post
You're still in here!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
Bat Country

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 304,924,299,922

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Mr. Gilligan This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

were getting a new linux server at work, the first one and im taking linux admin.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #10
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

nice, what distro gil?
Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 AM   #11
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Why Linux does not need to be defragmented...

http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/ind..._defragmenting
Old 11-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
Slacker

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,064,262

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Silent Steve This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via AIM to Silent Steve

well I'll be damned,
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #13
Way she goes, boys.

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 496,660

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

I have it on my laptop
Old 11-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #14

Activity Longevity
5/20 20/20

I want those 5 minutes back.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:29 PM   #15
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

No refunds.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #16
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Plus I will never get the chance to experience this wonderful experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3atmWmWCwlw
Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #17
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #18

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

Originally Posted by AnnonUSA View Post
I want those 5 minutes back.
Originally Posted by Crunk Jewz View Post
No refunds.
HA! you won't fool me again!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #19
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

I dunno, i thought it was cool and unique. IBM and Linux? Sounds bad ass...
Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #20

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

i have to admit, i was weak. i couldn't resist clicking the damn play button.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #21
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
Bat Country

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 304,924,299,922

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

i found mounting a simple usb stick in fedora redhat to suck teh balls.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #23
Released Due To Overcrowding

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 61,919,868,143

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!dan, muthafucka! This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

foxtrot rules, but that dilbert just made me shit myself hahahaha. dilbert doesnt normally make me laugh that much anyway. well, the cartoon that was made of it was cool... i watched that because there was more to it than pointless office jokes. anyway, FUCK linux. shit causes me nothing but problems. fuck. i'm reinstalling windows on my laptop because i dont have the patience to learn a fucking computer language when all i wanna do is sit back and express myself in plain fucking english. too bad, it was rather cool but im just sick of not being able to do half the shit i can do on windows even though it's capable of doing more than can be done on windows... ironic
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #24

Activity Longevity
5/20 20/20

Linux is less secure then Windows Xp
Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #25
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Explain yourself.