Loading ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
in need of a μse

Location: gated community, ivory tower, depends on who you ask
MIIDAJ? Scrill: 3,598,123,658,036

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

yo annon tell me what ya think

My desktop is acting a fool yo.

Here's the symptoms leading up to The End.

I would be browsing, or whatever, and all of a sudden my screen would freeze up. I'd be able to move the mouse but wouldn't be able to get anything to respond if I clicked on it. Anything I'd be listening to (youtube, music, etc) would go silent. It'd do this for about ten seconds or so. After that ten seconds my monitor would go completely black and would stay that way. But, my music or youtube video would start playing, or at least the audio. So, I'd have to restart it by holding the reset button down for five seconds.

Anyways, it did this about once, twice, or at the most three times a week until today. Today, it did it three times in a row. I'd restart it, and it'd come back up fine for about five minutes, or less, and then do the same shit, freeze and then go blank. On the fourth time my monitor doesn't even want to come up. When I start it the screen just stays black.

When I booted it up I booted into the BIOS and checked the CPU temperature, 50C, so that's definitely not the culprit. Last week I hella dusted everything out thinking that might have been it, but apparently not. I hooked up my monitor to my laptop thinking it might be the monitor, nope, it works fine on my laptop. I went down to Circuit City and bought a PCI GPU and plugged it into my PCI slot, plugged my monitor back in, and booted it back up and still unresponsive. Then, I went back down to Circuit City again and exchanged the PCI card for an AGP card thinking maybe it's my PCI slots (even though my NIC card works fine in the slots) and plugged that in, booted it up, and still no luck. So it doesn't appear to be my GPU card or PCI/AGP slots. It's definitely not the Power Supply as when it boots up everything lights up and fans are a humming.

The only thing I can think of it to be is my motherboard. What's your diagnosis guy?

Last edited by TheBagman; 06-20-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

Re: yo annon tell me what ya think

I can't even get the damn thing to boot to where I can see anything at all, let alone get to GRUB where I can select Linux guy.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

No shit dog. I have my entire computer taken apart sitting on my chair... man there were some dust bunnies that made me hella sneeze under that motherboard.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Forum Maintenance Engineer

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 491,361,867,436,323

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!AnnonUSA This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Sounds like the Motherboard or maybe the Software corruption. I'd say motherboard though. The weird part is that the main symptoms sound like video, not power, so the Vid cards should have helped.

If you get a Bios Post screen and then it blanks it could me Software, bad drivers, corruption, etc. Can you try booting that drive in another system?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

Nah, I don't have another system to plug the drive into, but I highly doubt it's software corruption. I forgot to mention that I thought it might be that too, and I had just got done with reinstalling Windows when it happened again. Besides, it doesn't even show the POST screen when I try booting it up. Just black the whole way through.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
the szooze button on a smoke alarm

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,073,260

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TacoSusio This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via AIM to TacoSusio Send a message via Skype™ to TacoSusio

is it plugged in?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

I just reseated everything, EVERY-THING, and now it boots up. Now I can go take this other graphics card back.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #8

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

no refunds!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

Nope, hella full refund.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #10

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

Originally Posted by TacoSusio View Post
is it plugged in?
Originally Posted by TheBagman View Post
I just reseated everything, EVERY-THING, and now it boots up. Now I can go take this other graphics card back.
glad i could help
Old 06-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
\_(ツ)_/

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 639,052,204

Activity Longevity
4/20 20/20

taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!taco This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via AIM to taco

perhaps your flux capacitor is shot.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

Nevermind. It's still doing it. After reseating everything it worked great for a few hours and now it's right back to being shitty...

I think I'm just gonna buy a new computer soon, I bought this one in 2003 so it's about time. Until then I'll just deal with my laptop.

Last edited by TheBagman; 06-20-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #13

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

It is the motherboard.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

Originally Posted by AnnonUSA View Post
It is the motherboard.
Yeah, I figured. They don't make motherboards for my processor anymore. I went to New Egg and they still had two BioStar 478 socket mobos but they were far from impressive. Thought about getting a new motherboard/processor combo but my memory is 184 pin DIMMs and all the new mobos use the 220 pin version anymore, so I would have to buy all new memory as well. That is why I think I'll just get a whole new computer instead.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
Yeah! I said it...

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,029,491

Activity Longevity
3/20 20/20

|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!|맧 This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via MSN to |맧

sux 2 b u
Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #16
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

I will build, most likely. I don't need a monitor. I have a 19 inch Dell LCD that's only a year old. So.. that will save me a couple benjies. Don't need speakers, got some nice JBL Monsters. Don't need a mouse nor a keyboard. I put together a wish list at New Egg... here it is yo. Something I threw together quick and by the time I'm ready to purchase it it will probably go down a bit.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=11962207
Old 06-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #17
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

And keep in mind I haven't even checked Linux drivers to see if some of that is compatible. Things might change, etc.. I'm sure it is compatible, but with new shit you gotta be sure. I know the processor is... just don't know if the chipset is in the kernel.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #18

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

Originally Posted by TheBagman View Post
I will build, most likely. I don't need a monitor. I have a 19 inch Dell LCD that's only a year old. So.. that will save me a couple benjies. Don't need speakers, got some nice JBL Monsters. Don't need a mouse nor a keyboard. I put together a wish list at New Egg... here it is yo. Something I threw together quick and by the time I'm ready to purchase it it will probably go down a bit.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=11962207
Linky no worky....
Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #19
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

yeah wrong link. try this one.

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
Old 06-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #20

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

Looks good. should be speedy.....
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
Yeah! I said it...

Activity Longevity
3/20 20/20

it made my nipples hard.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #22

Activity Longevity
6/20 20/20

Originally Posted by |맧 View Post
it made my nipples hard.
You are easy that way.....
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #23
Yeah! I said it...

Activity Longevity
3/20 20/20

you say it like it's a bad thing.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #24
\_(ツ)_/

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 639,052,204

Activity Longevity
4/20 20/20

Send a message via AIM to taco

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Bagman out that he'd melt my brain.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
7/20 20/20

I could spend another hundred and get a quad core.