LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Where am I?

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,001,750

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

haterade jerks off manualy

Questions from a future grower.

Ok, I decided that instead of disrupting other people's threads I should start my own. I am just gunna ask a bunch of questions and hopefully you all have the answers. Keep in mind this is a 1 plant then eventually a 2 - 3 plant project that will be done indoors over the winter.

1. Where is the best place to purchase seeds, and the best guarantee of females?

2. What soils, fertilizers, lamps and fans should I have, as well as containers to grow in? (it will be done in a wooden closet)

3. How many seeds should be in a pot, I was thinking 1 seed per pot and that should keep it healthy.

4. At the beginning how long should I leave the lamps on and in what cycles should the lights be set? I know that leaving the plant in light longer stimulates vegetative growth and darkness promotes flowering.

5. How old should the plant be or how big when I start to make them flower?

6. What are some of a particulars that people overlook that cause plants to become sick or even die?

7. If I do raise a good plant what is the best way to harvest and cure the buds?

Thanks in advance for any help and I will ask more questions in the future seeing as I won't probably start this venture for another month or two so I can get a better grasp on growing and the things that come with it.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Amateur

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,000,000

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

curtisd jerks off manualy

Re: Questions from a future grower.

for number 4, this is what i hear most people do

24/0 to start OR 18/6

for flowering its 12/12 12 hours on, 12 hours off...
Old 09-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Huh? Where am I??

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,001,995

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Imperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of rest

1. That really depends, I've bought seeds online, bought seeds while I was in Amsterdam, and all have been okay....maybe some other folks can list some good seedbank websites, so far, I'd say Nirvana is okay...I've used them a few times, good faily inexpensive seeds for the beginner.
Some people say feminised seed is a good way to increase female ratio, but these are chemically altered, and so you run far too high a risk of having hermaphrodite plants, unless you have damn-near optimum growing conditions and even then they can start sprouting balls at the smallest thing......it's said that high humidity and low temps can increase the chance of females, but I don't know if this is true or just an old rumour.
2. A good basic potting compost should be alright for a first grow, just make sure you buy some perlite or vermiculite...that's the little white pebbles about 1/2cm across that you sometimes see in soil mixes.....these wee pebbles help to retain moisture within the soil, and also allow air into the soil (remember, it's just important to allow the roots to 'breathe' as it is to let them be moist.)

Light really depend entirely on budget....you can go from cheap fluorescent lighting all the way up to proper air-cooled ballasts that can support both hallide (blue spectrum) and sodium (red spectrum) bulbs.
Fluros are excellent for vegetative stage.
Plant pots wil do you fine, I use 10 litre plant pots to flower, but you don't have to use anything as big as that (not sure how that converts to gallons)

As for fans, you basic swivelling desk-type fan is fine...I ain't ever used anything but those.

3. NEVER put more than 1 seed in each pot, all that'll happen if you do is, the roots will become all tangled together, and the 2/3/whatever number of plants will end up competing directly with each other for the limited nutrients available in the reduced space

4. You can either leave the lights on for 24 hours continuous, or 18 hours light, 6 hours darkness...some growers start their seedling under 24 hours light, then switch to 18/6 once their about 2 weeks old, there's no right or wrong way there.....personally, I like to think that 6 hours darkness every day gives them a chance to have a wee rest.

4. Again, this is up to you, the standard age/height is usually 1 foot tall (this may not be the case with indicas which are much shorter bushier plants) or at about 4 weeks of veg.

5. A common mistake many people make is that they overwater their plants.....this manifests itself as a very droopy plant. People see that the plant is droopy, assume it's because the plant is thirsty, give it more water, it droops more, and so on....best to water maybe twice a week, or if you're not too sure whether or not to water, simply press your finger into the soil to check whether there is moisture further down.
Another good tip is [if using hot sodium lighting] put a dish/container of water in beside your plants to keep humidity up. They like 40% or so humidity....

7. Harvest, ahhh, it's a long journey but it's worth the reward! You'll know when it's time to harvest by the colour of the hairs, generally, when 70% of the hairs have turned brown/orange, you're plant is about ready. If you have a decent magnifying glass or a jeweller's loupe, you'll be able to see the trichomes (the individual resin glands/crystals) when the trichomes are clear and look like glass, it's too early to harvest, when they become cloudy, it's just right, when they look amber, you're too late!

Once you've chopped down the plant (and boy is that a sticky job!) you'll need to hang them to dry first. One mistake, DONT put them in an airing cupboard as they dry out too fast, end up with brittle weed with no substance to it, and not much of a nice taste.....you'll find it takes 10-14 days to dry out weed proper, then you need to cure it for another 2 weeks minimum (longer you cure, the better the taste). To cure, get some mason jars or any glass jar with an airtight lid, pop the buds in there, and store either in the fridge, or a cupboard out of bright light......every day take the lid off the jar for about an hour or so to 'burp' the buds and let fresh air into the jar......the idea is, as the plant dries natuarally, the cellulose dies off (that's what can give weed that 'gree plant' taste is not cured/dried right) and you start to get the actual flavour of the bud....

Ugh, I hope some of that makes sense!!

K
-x-
Old 09-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Where am I?

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

That all made perfect sense and thanks alot.

Now I have been browsing the internet and saw a few 1 - 2 plant Aquafarms, is it easier to grow a plant with hydroponics? I know I won't try to do that at first because it seems like a hard process, but the buds that come from Hydro plants are insane.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Huh? Where am I??

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Imperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of restImperialgodfly is celebrating shabas, the jewish day of rest

Um....for that question I'll pass you over to Phessie and Sticky!! I've absolutely no idea, never touched hydro (yet!)

K
-x-
Old 09-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
Where am I?

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

Oh and another thing, I have been looking at some of the seeds that come from Nirvana and they come in 10 seed packages, now can I store those seeds or do they have to be planted ASAP?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
Amateur

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,001,765

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

sticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunk
sticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunksticky is getting crunk

The Aquafarms are pretty easy to use, its mixing up the nutrients and adjusting your ph which is the most difficult and after doing it once its like riding a bike

You will need a truncheon which measures the strength of the nutes and a ph pen,bag of clay pebbles and nutes and thats it and if you going to grow, start off right and get a hps
unless its a stealth grow use floros

They have a tube running up the outside which tells you when they need topped up
I use an waterfarm which is slightly bigger than an aquafarm and it would hold 3 plants at most...
happy growing
Old 09-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
fat girl

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,002,125

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

Send a message via AIM to drukqs

Nice info guys, im really interested in growing too cuz i have a good spot.. Problem is its an unfinished attic, real hot, and has all of that yellow insulation that irritates your skin if u touch it.. So im sure if little particles of that got on my bud then it wouldnt be nice
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
in need of a μse

Location: gated community, ivory tower, depends on who you ask
MIIDAJ? Scrill: 3,762,234,081,625

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!TheBagman This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

www.hempqc.com
that is where I bought my seeds. I lived in Minnesota and got them fine.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #10
Where am I?

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

Ok I am back with a few more questions.

1. What is the best method for wet-paper-towel germination?

2. What is the best method for fertilzing plants?

3. I know you are supposed to water your plants maybe 2 - 3 times a weeks, but what method do you use to water them? I don't know whether to use a wattering bucket or a spray bottle.

4. All-in-all how long does it take to raise a plant from a seedling to finished product?

5. Is powdery mildew a big problem for anyone?

6. Do I need an advanced form of ventilation or will a simple reciprocating fan work fine?

7. What is the easiest strain for a beginner? I was thinking BigBud, but I really want to raise a nice Puple Power or Silver Haze plant.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #11
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

1. I have a little rubbermaid container with a damp paper towel on the bottom and a damp paper towel on the top of the seeds, with the rubbermaid lid sealed. I put the container on top of my computer monitor to keep it warm. My seeds sprouted within 18 hours.

2. I just used a chemical fert that you mix with the water. I'd recommend that for your first time.

3. I just dumped a jug of water right in their pot from a gallon jug, make sure you do it slow to not expose the roots by washing away the soil.

4. Can't remember but it was about 4+ months...?

5. Nope, wasn't a problem for me.

6. That's all I had and I had two healthy plants.

7. You could probably do either of those, I did White Widow, and people were telling me that that is a hard strain to go and telling me I was going to fail, but I had two Beautiful Healthy plants. I hear Northern Lights, and AK47 are fairly easy to grow.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #12
farout

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 45,800,281

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!stoned jude This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

this is a good threadd as i ham harvesting soon. still got my 2 girlsin the woods wish they had more son but i panicked and sunk em fast i just carry a gallon jug and pour half on each lady thy only now have tiny buds on em and i started them mid to late april. they loved it in my greenhouse best but got to big hubby found em :blazed:
Old 09-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #13
fat girl

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!drukqs This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

lol^^

Im interested in how long it takes for most people.. Also, is the electricity bill gonna go up that drastically.. Like how much does your electricity go up? (also tell me what light source u use)
Old 09-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
Way she goes, boys.

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 496,660

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!
Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!Elroy This motherfucker is the crunkest of the crunk!

If I were a little faggot like you i guess i would probably put the seeds up my as because that's the only chance you have of growing shit you fuckin cock stain
Old 09-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #15
Where am I?

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

Originally Posted by elroypornlab
If I were a little faggot like you i guess i would probably put the seeds up my as because that's the only chance you have of growing shit you fuckin cock stain
The topic doesn't say "Flame People" so shut the fuck up you wannabe.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #16
Way she goes, boys.

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

wannabe bitch, Don't confuse things here you the bitch I'm the pimp
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #17
Way she goes, boys.

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Oh and I'll flame who I like
Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 PM   #18
in need of a μse

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20

Originally Posted by drukqs
lol^^

Im interested in how long it takes for most people.. Also, is the electricity bill gonna go up that drastically.. Like how much does your electricity go up? (also tell me what light source u use)
It will go up like $10 bucks a month with a 400w HPS lamp.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 PM   #19
Amateur

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

iRonONE1lunG jerks off manualy

Send a message via AIM to iRonONE1lunG Send a message via MSN to iRonONE1lunG

If you havn't read all this shit already in grow guides, than you shouldn't grow.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #20
Huh? Where am I??

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

When you're absolutely new to growing, a lot of what's said in the growguides can be vague or confusing, especially some of the abbreivations etc we use, it's much better to ask your questions first, get an idea of what you're going to need to do.........so don't be put off asking at any rate, when I was a newbie grower (which wasn't that long ago, a couple years) I was asking some really strange questions, but I always got the answers I needed from other growers, who are a right friendly bunch......

Simple fact is, we don't just grow for the 'drug aspect' of it, we grow because there's genuine pleasure in raising a massive healthy plant from a tiny wee seed, and want to help others to do the same, and to enjoy what for us is a really rewarding hobby, so feel free to keep asking your questions and we'll do our best to answer them for you!

Happy growing.....

K
-x-
Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #21
Amateur

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

imported_xxkmanxx jerks off manualy

Send a message via AIM to imported_xxkmanxx Send a message via Yahoo to imported_xxkmanxx

ive always wanted to grow....but wouldnt it start to smell like weed where ever i grow it? cause i live wit my parents....and that could be a bad thing.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:40 AM   #22
Where am I?

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20

Originally Posted by ImperialGodFly
When you're absolutely new to growing, a lot of what's said in the growguides can be vague or confusing, especially some of the abbreivations etc we use, it's much better to ask your questions first, get an idea of what you're going to need to do.........so don't be put off asking at any rate, when I was a newbie grower (which wasn't that long ago, a couple years) I was asking some really strange questions, but I always got the answers I needed from other growers, who are a right friendly bunch......

Simple fact is, we don't just grow for the 'drug aspect' of it, we grow because there's genuine pleasure in raising a massive healthy plant from a tiny wee seed, and want to help others to do the same, and to enjoy what for us is a really rewarding hobby, so feel free to keep asking your questions and we'll do our best to answer them for you!

Happy growing.....

K
-x-
I so agree with you, I love the look of the plants and raising them is awesome. The end product is just a bonus to mastering an ancient art. You don't got to be some stoner high school drop out to be a grower, anyone can do it.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #23
Amateur

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,001,535

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

maggit jerks off manualy

Best hobby I ever had.... 3 months from seed to big budding beauty...thats pretty fast and therefore very rewarding.

Some days you can see huge change in only 24hrs, plus the lights do something weird to your head, you pop thru to look at the plants and next thing 20 mins have past and your just standing like a prat staring at them.
Sodium does this better, the metal halide light isn't as captivating...even the cat prefers sodium......which is great....she's a Co2 generator lying in the cupboard..

The joys of spotting the first 5 fingered leaves, then the sevens etc.. usually gets a gentle cooing noise from me, awww look their first sevens...bless.......

If nobody grew, then nobody could smoke simple as that...all good joints start from a seed..
Old 09-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #24
fat girl

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Originally Posted by ImperialGodFly

Happy growing.....

K
-x-
Your a pimp IGF..
Old 10-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #25
Amateur

MIIDAJ? Scrill: 13,000,000

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20

Kage Killa jerks off manualy

Originally Posted by haterade
That all made perfect sense and thanks alot.

Now I have been browsing the internet and saw a few 1 - 2 plant Aquafarms, is it easier to grow a plant with hydroponics? I know I won't try to do that at first because it seems like a hard process, but the buds that come from Hydro plants are insane.
I grow both hydroponic and with soil . I prefer soil because I believe the taste is better . My hydro room( I have a partner ) is almost finished . My dirt room is 2 weeks old .

Pics of my last dirt harvest and the hydro harvest about to happen can be found in the Kage Killa Hello thread . http://www.thejointforum.com/showthread.php?t=346